Crush Dr. Robotnik!
Dr. Ivo Robotnik, the mad scientist, is snatching innocent animals and turning them into evil robots! Only one tough dude can put an end to the demented scientist's fiendish scheme. It's Sonic, the real cool hedgehog with the spiked haircut and power sneakers that give him super speed.
Help Sonic fight hordes of metal maniacs and do the loop with the Super Sonic Spin Attack. Speed down twisting tunnels and swing over dangerous booby traps. Leap across lava pits and dodge burning rocks. Then splash through the chilling waters in an underground cavern.
And if you're lucky, you can warp to the secret zone where you spin around in a floating maze! Your greatest challenge lurks in a secret lab where you come face to face with Dr. Robotnik himself!
Spin through space, loop 'till you're dizzy, save the animals and become the super hero. Be Sonic! Be atomic!
For best game play, learn the different button functions before you start.
(1) Directional Button
- Press right or left to move Sonic in those directions. Press and hold in either direction to speed up.
- When Sonic is standing still, press up or down to see the top or bottom section of thescreen. (This won't work if Sonic is already at the highest or lowest point.)
(2) Start Button
- Press to start the game.
- Press to pause the game; press again to resume play.
(3) (4) (5) Button A, B or C
- Press to perform the Super Sonic Spin Attack.
Sonic's Super Stunts
- Press the D-Button down when Sonic's moving to bump off enemies with the Super Sonic Spin Attack.
- Press Button A, B or C to jump while performing the Super Sonic Spin Attack.
When you turn the power on, the Title Screen appears. In a few moments, the demonstration game begins. Press the Start Button to return to the Title screen. Then press it again to start the game.
Reach for the Rings!
As Sonic, you must evade traps and dodge crazed robots as you dash through six hazardous zones using your Super Sonic Spin Attack. Your goal is to rescue your friends from the nasty grasp of the demented scientist, Dr. Robotnik!
Staying alive will be tough, but you can grab Rings along the way. As long as you have Rings, you won't be hurt when you get attacked or touched by an enemy. (But you will lose all your Rings.) If an enemy attacks when you don't have any Rings and are not using the Super Sonic Spin Attack, you will lose one chance to complete the game. (Even if you are using the Super Sonic Spin Attack, you'll lose one chance if something smashes you.)
You can keep track of the Rings you have, the chances you have left, and your score by looking at the counters on the screen.
(1) Your present score.
(2) Timer: It shows how much time has elapsed since you started the Act. You have ten minutes to clear each Act. If you go over ten minutes, a "TIME OVER" message will appear and you will lose one chance to complete the game. (The time is based on Game time and no on actual time.)
(3) The number of Rings you have. When this number reaches zero, it will start flashing.
(4) The number of chances Sonic has to get through the Act.
You'll come across Lampposts in every Zone. Your present score and time will be recorded if you touch the Lamppost. If you die, you will continue the game from the Lamppost you touched. You will lose all your Rings, but you will start the game with the score and time that was recorded.
Items For Survival
Smash open video monitors with the super Sonic Spin Attack to get special items that help you defeat evil Dr. Robotnik!
(1) Super Ring: Picking up this earns you ten Rings.
(2) Shield: This prevents you from losing your Rings when you get attacked. Even if you don't have any Rings, you won't be hurt. (But it won't protect you from other obstacles.)
(3) Power Sneakers: These sneakers make you run faster.
(4) One-Up: This gives you one extra chance to complete the game.
Note: Picking up 100 Rings also earns you an extra chance.
(5) Invincible: This temporarily keeps you safe when attacked by an enemy. (But it won't protect you from other obstacles.)
Zip Through the Zones!
There are six action-packed zones, each with three exciting Acts. You'll square off against Dr. Robotnik at the end of every third Act.
(1) Green Hill Zone
Go around the giant loop, tumble down tunnels, and jump over crumbling cliffs before you get a chance to blink. Bounce on Springboards but not on spikes. Ouch!
(2) Marble Zone
Leap across pools of red-hot lava and shifting islands. Then find the way to the underground palace where massive weights and flying balls of fire block your path.
(3) Spring Yard Zone
Jump from springs and bounce off bumpers as if you're in a real pinball machine.
(4) Labyrinth Zone
Explore an intricate maze filled with water. A countdown begins to let you know you are running out of oxygen. Breathing in air bubbles keeps you from drowning.
(5) Star Light Zone
Speed through the stars like a roller coaster in a world that twists like a corkscrew.
(6) Scrap Brain Zone
Slippery metal floors, razor-sharp saws and grinding wheels -- now you're one step away from Dr. Robotnik's hideout!
If you collect a certain amount of Rings, you can warp to the Secret Zone where you'll ricochet off multi-colored blocks in a 360Ã‚Âº rotating maze! There are six Secret Zones. In each Zone, your goal is to touch the Chaos Emerald.
Use the Super Sonic Spin Attack to bounce off different types of blocks. The Secret Zone is really a trap. You can only escape if you do either one of these things.
- Touch the Chaos Emerald.
- Touch the Goal.
Blocks in the Secret Zone
(1) Bumper: Bounce off these.
(2) Reverse: When you touch this, the maze will rotate the opposite way.
(3) Goal: This is the end of this zone. Touch this to return to the previous zone.
(4) 1 Up: Touch this for an extra chance to complete the game.
(5) Jump Stand: Jump off these.
(6) Up: When you touch this, the maze will rotate faster.
(7) Down: When you touch this, the maze will rotate slower.
(8) Chaos Emeralds: These come in six different colors: yellow, pink, blue, green, red and white. You'll find one in each Secret Zone. Collect all six of these!
You have three chances to complete the game. If you lose all three chances, the game ends.
If Sonic is lucky enough to obtain a Continue, the Continue screen will appear after Sonic loses his last life. On this screen, press the Start Button before the timer expires to continue where Sonic lost his last life.
All enemies are worth 100 points. Defeating Dr. Robotnik at the end of Act 3 earns you 1,000 points. Both the Time Bonus and the Ring Bonus will be added to your final score.
This bonus is based on how much time you took to clear one Act.
This bonus is determined by the number of Rings you have left at the end of an Act.
(2) Moto Bug
(5) Buzz Bomber
(8) Ball Hog
Sonic's Survival Tips
- Grab all the Rings you can.
- Watch the traps to see how they move. You'll have a better chance of dodging or escaping them. You might even try to burrow through them.
- Look for ways ot get to places that seem impossible to reach.
- Use the Super Sonic Spin Attack to find hidden items.
- Look for secret rooms.
- Remember, there's a Time Bonus, so race through the Acts as fast as you can.
- Destroy enemies in succession for extra bonus points!
Back To Game Index
Back To Sonic The Hedgehog Index