There are 4 known versions of Sonic Spinball. The 2 different American versions, the European version, and the Japanese version. The interesting thing is that all of these have some kind of musical differences.
Originally discovered by Genesis Power, the USA version had a different theme song. Today we know that this happened because Sega Technical Institute (developers of Sonic Spinball as well as the awesome Comix Zone and The Ooze) added the original theme song to the game, from Sonic 1 and 2. They did this without knowing that the composers of those tunes, Dreams Come True, demanded an assload of money from SEGA for the usage, which SEGA didn't give them thus the music change after Sonic 2.
So the music guy of Sega Technical Institute, the brilliant Howard Drossin, went into his cold and dark music room and made an awesome new theme song to the game, and while he was at it, he also changed the GAME OVER and ALL EMERALDS COLLECTED tunes to new ones. Still, the alt music version got slipped out as this happened at the time they just started manufacturing carts.
The tunes in this slipped prerelease are identical to the ones in the prototype version.
The JAPANESE version was built on the American final release (the USA ver was the first released, as the game was developed in the USA), and included all of the music from it - except for the HEE HAW HAW effect you get when you die. It was changed to a whole music tune.
The EUROPEAN version, still built on the American release (appearantly they were ported simultaneously by different localization teams or something), featured several enchancements to the games music. These included tunes being bugfixed, sped up, or extended.
So, here's a list of tracks that suffered differences through this whole fiasco:
- "TITLE SCREEN", prerelease ver (appeared in beta and usa prerelese, was changed due to aformentioned copyright problems)
- "All emeralds collected" tune, prerelease ver (appeared in beta and usa prerelese, was changed due to aformentioned copyright problems)
- "killed" tune, prerelease ver (appeared in beta and usa prerelese, was changed due to aformentioned copyright problems)
- "Game Over" tune, japanese ver (appeared in japanese release, changed from the HEE HAW HAW effect to a piece of music for god know what reason)
- OPTIONS SCREEN, yurop version (slightly sped up version, sounds much better imo)
- INTRO TUNE, yurop version (extended version, most likely to fit the 50hz PAL speed better)
- LAVA POWERHOUSE, yurope version (the usa/jap versions had a bug, after the music looped once the PSG died off. This was fixed here, and the music was sped up. again, sounds better)
SAMPLESSonic Spinball prerelease title theme, midi file
Sonic Spinball final title theme, mp3 recorded from my Yurop console
Sonic Spinball Intro tune, Yurop version, mp3 recorded from my console
Sonic Spinball Options menu tune, Yurop sped up version, mp3 recorded from my console
Back To Game Index
Back To Sonic Spinball Index